Kamis, 29 Juni 2017

Italian Eggs Recipe

Tags





On Wednesday I mentioned on my Facebook page that I have family here visiting from the east coast and as I type I’m looking out over the St. Helena mountains from Calistoga. Chico has been a heat and smoke basin, thanks to the multiple fires that have been burning in northern CA so to get some reprieve from the nastiness, we snuck off to wine country for the weekend.

Before we left town, I got the chance to cook a couple of meals for my family, and yesterday morning, thanks to the abundance of zucchini and fresh tomatoes from my CSA, I made a huge pan of Italian eggs which we gobbled up before heading out to our weekend retreat.

Here’s how I made this delicious dish – the measurements are approximate because it’s really hard to mess this meal up so feel free to experiment with ingredients and amounts.

Italian Eggs

1 small yellow onion, halved and sliced

2-3 small zucchini squash, halved and sliced

4-5 large tomatoes, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

A big handful of fresh basil, chopped

About 1/2 cup chives, finely chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

12 eggs (more or less depending on how big your skillet is or how many people you are feeding

Cooking oil of your choice (I used bacon grease)

1. In a large skillet, heat the oil of your choice over medium and saute the onions until translucent.

2. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic and bring to a simmer.

3. Let the tomato mixture simmer, mixing occasionally until it begins to thicken.

4. Add the basil, and a little bit of salt and pepper, stir and taste and season more if desired.

5. Make little holes in the sauce with your spoon and crack an egg into each hole.



6. Sprinkle the whole dish with chives, turn the heat down to low or medium-low, cover and let the eggs cook until the whites are done but the yolks are still runny (about 5-8 minutes depending on how much sauce or how many eggs you cram into the skillet). Cook longer if you want your eggs cooked all the way through.

7. Scoop out an egg or two for each person, and enjoy!! We ate ours with some pastured bacon.

Serves as many as you like.

Enjoy!

Artikel Terkait


EmoticonEmoticon